HELPING TO PROTECT YOUR FAMILY'S BEST INTERESTS
Offering 20+ Years of Compassionate Divorce Advocacy in New York State
Have you considered filing for divorce in New York? Whether you are entrenched in a pending divorce proceeding or are simply thinking of separating from your spouse, difficult decisions lie ahead. At Cohen Forman Barone, our compassionate legal advocates care about your best interests and are committed to working with you during this difficult time to achieve your desired goals and answer all of your questions.
Let our experienced NYC divorce lawyers give you the help you need. We are equipped to guide you through your divorce in a manner that is best for you. With over 75 years of combined experience, our firm has the in-depth knowledge and insights necessary to assist our clients with building a strong foundation for life after divorce.
We understand that filing divorce can be a difficult decison. We want to help relieve you of some the stress, scheule a confidential consultation with our New York City divorce lawyers to see how we can help you and your family today.
Filing for Divorce in New York State
We understand that filing for divorce can be a difficult decision, especially when children are involved. Our NYC divorce attorneys are ready to help you navigate the next stages of your life and can help make this process as stress-free as possible. If you are considering divorce in New York, it is important to know that there are a couple of requirements that must be met in order to file for a divorce in New York. Prior to filing for a divorce, you must first meet the residency requirement.
To meet the residency requirement, you must answer yes to one of the following:
- Did you or your spouse continuously reside in New York State for at least two years before the start of the divorce case?
- Did you or your spouse continuously reside in New York State for at least one year before the start of the divorce case and (1) you were married in New York State, or (2) you lived as a married couple in New York State, or (3) the grounds for your divorce occurred in New York State?
- Were both you and your spouse residents of New York State on the day the divorce was started and did the grounds for your divorce occur in New York State?
The second requirement you must meet in order to file for a divorce is having grounds or a legally acceptable reason for the divorce. Though New York is now a “no fault” state by virtue of the ground of irretrievable breakdown in the relationship:
Valid reasons for divorce in New York include:
- Cruel and inhuman treatment
- Irretrievable breakdown in the relationship (minimum 6 months)
- Divorce after a legal separation agreement
- Divorce after a judgment of separation
Regardless of the grounds for divorce, it is always a complex legal process. If you are considering filing for divorce, or if you have recently been served divorce papers, you should immediately seek legal advice from a qualified attorney before taking any action. The NYC divorce attorneys at Cohen Forman Barone are well-equipped to assess your particular situation and give you guidance concerning the best way to move forward.
For trusted and experienced legal counsel regarding your divorce, contact us at (212) 577-9314. We serve clients in New York City, Long Island, and elsewhere.
“If it wasn’t for them my life would have forever been turned upside down.” - H.B.
“They made me feel like we were a team dedicated to getting me out of a difficult situation.” - M.M.