Defending Those Accused of Crimes in New York State
If you are facing criminal charges, criminal investigation, or believe law enforcement is looking to speak to you, you need an NYC criminal attorney immediately. Our New York criminal defense lawyers have the knowledge and experience to represent you in court and will work with you to achieve the most successful case result possible. The vast majority of people who find themselves being pursued by law enforcement have no idea of their rights.
We know how intimidating the legal system can be and we want to make sure you are treated with respect and that your rights are protected. No matter what your issue, which agency is conducting the investigation, or how serious the allegations are, you can be confident that Cohen Forman Barone, LLP has seen it before and can get you through it now.
When you face legal concerns in New York City and elsewhere, having the help of an experienced NYC criminal attorney on your side is crucial to obtaining the best possible outcome for your case. With over 75 years of combined legal experience and understanding, the team at Cohen Forman Barone has the in-depth knowledge and insights needed to help you fight for your future. If you have been arrested for a crime or detained for some other reason, now is the time to obtain the services of New York City criminal attorneys you can trust.
Criminal charges can be overwhelming and you may not know where to start. Schedule your case consultation with our NYC criminal attorneys to see how we can help fight your charges. Call us at 212-577-9314.
Common Types of Probation Violations
One of the many situations that call for the skills of our criminal defense attorneys in NYC following a conviction is a violation of probation. There are often many requirements placed upon individuals who are on probation, and it is important to always meet these requirements. However, we all make mistakes, unexpected circumstances do arise, and sometimes these demands get violated.
Common probation violations include:
- Missed meetings with a probation officer
- Missed court dates
- Failure to pay fines or restitution
- Failure to attend counseling
- Failing a drug test
Failure to keep one or more of these requirements could result in fines, incarceration, or extended probation. To make matters worse, if someone commits a crime while they are on probation, then they are facing both a new criminal charge as well as a probation violation. If this happens to you, you need the help of a knowledgeable New York criminal attorney who is committed to fighting for you.
What are the Penalties for a Criminal Conviction in New York?
If you are not a U.S. citizen, you may face immigration consequences as well as fines, jail time, probation, and probationary terms if you are convicted of a crime in New York. In addition, a criminal conviction can lead to loss of employment for certain job types, the loss of voting privileges, and a lifelong stigma of being a convicted felon.
You may be facing the following penalties depending on the classification of the misdemeanor or felony:
- Class A Misdemeanor - Maximum 1 year in jail and up to $1,000 in fines.
- Class B Misdemeanor - Maximum 90 days in jail and up to $500 in fines.
- Unclassified Misdemeanor - Between 16 days and 1 year in jail
- Class A Felony - 20-25 years to life in prison
- Class B Violent Felony - 5 - 25 years in prison
- Class B Non-Violent Felony - 1 to 3 years, up to 25 years in prison
- Class C Violent Felony - 3.5 years or up to 15 years in prison
- Class C Non-Violent Felony - 1 to 2 years, up to 15 years probation
- Class D Violent Felony - 2 to 7 years in prison
- Class D Non-Violent Felony - 1.5 to 4 years probation
- Class E Felony - Up to 4 years probation
Understand Your Rights in New York
Did you know the police are allowed to lie to you? Did you know that if you are driving and are stopped by the police they cannot search your vehicle? Did you know that if law enforcement tries to speak with you, you have the absolute right to refuse to speak with them? Having the strength, knowledge, and courage to stand up to law enforcement comes from protecting over ten thousand clients accused of criminal acts.
How an Experienced Criminal Attorney in NYC Can Help
Being criminally charged in New York can have serious consequences, on both your personal life and professional life. Finding an apartment or job is much more difficult with a criminal charge. That's where a skilled criminal lawyer can help.
Here are some ways they can alleviate some of your stress:
- Offer unbiased and honest advice on the situation
- Provide clear explanations of New York criminal laws
- Use expertise to strategize potential defenses
- Protect a clients' rights & interests
NYC criminal attorneys can also help you expunge or seal a criminal record, depending on your specific circumstances. Contact us to schedule a case consultation to discuss possible courses of action.
Experienced Criminal Defense Attorneys in New York City, NY
The moment you meet our New York City criminal lawyers, you will understand why we are so successful in protecting our clients from the awesome powers of law enforcement. Our New York criminal defense attorneys will take the time to understand you and your case. We are client-driven and dedicated to serving each client’s particular needs.
Our New York City criminal defense lawyers have over 35 years of experience as criminal law practitioners. We are unwavering in our belief that every client deserves exceptional representation and we have been fulfilling that goal for decades. Everyone comes to the legal process with different questions. We are here to take the time to answer any concern you may have. Our clients are our business. In addition we also practice in immigration law if you have any questions or need legal help.
Take the first step to defend your future and reputation by scheduling a case review with one of our New York criminal attorneys.
Our Criminal Law Blog Articles
- FACTORS CONTRIBUTING TO DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND ASSAULT CHARGES DURING COVID-19
- THE ENHANCING PUBLIC SAFETY IN THE INTERIOR OF THE UNITED STATES EXECUTIVE ORDER: WHAT IT MEANS FOR THE CRIMMIGRATION LAWYER
- CAN MY LOVED ONE BE RELEASED EARLY FROM PRISON BECAUSE OF THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC?
- NYC Inmate Lookup
- New York City Court Information
- New York City Courts
- United States District Court: Southern District of New York
- New York Court Records Search
Reduced to a Misdemeanor Criminal Defense
No Criminal Charges Filed Criminal Defense
Dismissed Criminal Defense