HELPING YOU DEFEND YOUR FUTURE & REPUTATION
Felony DWI Attorneys in New York City
Providing Aggressive Defense in NYC
If you are arrested for felony DWI in New York City, you need to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. At Cohen & Forman Barone, LLP, we understand that a felony DWI charge can have a devastating effect on your life. We are dedicated to helping clients fight their charges and get their lives back on track.
Our firm understands the complex legal issues involved in DWI cases. We have handled hundreds of cases and can help you find the best possible outcome for your situation.
Common Types of Felony DWI in New York
Here are some circumstances that could lead to a felony DWI charge in New York:
- Multiple DWI convictions: If you have previously been convicted of DWI or DWAI (Driving While Ability Impaired) within the past ten years, a subsequent DWI offense can be charged as a felony. A second DWI or DWAI-Drug is a Class E felony, while a third DWI or DWAI-Drug is a Class D felony.
- Aggravated DWI: Driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of 0.18% or higher can result in an aggravated DWI charge, which is a misdemeanor. However, if you have a prior DWI conviction within the past ten years, a subsequent offense with a high BAC can be charged as a Class E felony. A third offense is a Class D felony.
- DWI causing serious injury: If you operate a motor vehicle while intoxicated and cause serious physical injury to another person, you can be charged with a Class E felony DWI. Serious injury refers to injuries that pose a substantial risk of death, cause disfigurement, or result in the loss or impairment of a body organ or limb.
- DWI resulting in death: If your intoxicated driving leads to the death of another person, you can face Class D felony charges. This offense is commonly known as vehicular manslaughter or vehicular homicide.
The penalties for felony DWI in New York City depend on the circumstances of the case.
The possible penalties for felony DWI in New York City include:
- Prison time
- Community service
- Drug and alcohol treatment
- License suspension
Contact Our NYC Felony DWI Attorneys Today
Due to the severe penalties you face if convicted of a felony DWI in New York City, it is worth hiring an experienced criminal defense attorney to help you either get your charges/penalties reduced or your entire case dismissed. Do not hesitate to let our firm fight for you!
“If it wasn’t for them my life would have forever been turned upside down.” - H.B.
“They made me feel like we were a team dedicated to getting me out of a difficult situation.” - M.M.